Skip to main content

Reply to this post | Go Back
View Post [edit]

Poster: OTRRArchive Date: Apr 10, 2008 9:51am
Forum: oldtimeradio Subject: Checkout & Other Problems (ATTN Alexis)


We are having issues with one of our relatively new items:

identifier=OTRR_Certified_Singles_Doubles

Sometimes, when I navigate to the page, I see the most recent version of the page -- other times, I see an older version (different descriptive text), which is usually missing all the files. Review comments appear and disappear. The history page shows that this appears to bounce back and forth between servers ia341036 and ia341010.

I've just recently checked this item out again. The problem now is that I cannot see any of our uploaded files -- only the three XML files and "CLICK HERE" HTM file appear in my FTP session (same results whether I use the IE link), and none of our ZIP files. The server that it's checked out to is ia341010.

I'm afraid that when I check this in again, we'll lose all the files attached to this item -- there are a lot, this item is gigantic. (Is it too big? Is the size causing us problems?)

Can Alexis, or someone else at archive.org, take a look at this, please?

Thanks,

-Sue

Reply to this post
Reply [edit]

Poster: ARossi Date: Apr 10, 2008 5:29pm
Forum: oldtimeradio Subject: Re: Checkout & Other Problems (ATTN Alexis)

Hi Sue,

Now this one was tough to figure out!

28 days ago, one of our employees submitted a task to move your item from one server (*36) to another(*10). 36 was overloaded and we wanted to move your item to a calmer server so that your downloads wouldn't get disrupted.

For some reason, that move failed halfway through. The entire item was still on 36, and only part of it was on 10. The move "red rowed" - meaning that task row in the catalog history turned red when it failed. It looks, from the logs, like you "passed" that red row to make it disappear.

Unfortunately, that also means you left your item only partially copied over. From then on, when a task was run on your item (a review written, a checkout, whatever), whichever of those servers became available first is the one it would choose. So the two items became completely out of sync.

Up to now your checkouts were on 36, just by chance, so you could still see the items. But your latest checkout was on 10 - and as you could see, it didn't have all the files.

I got one of our engineers to straighten out the mess and pull over the old files we could save - things might be a bit messy, hopefully we got everything. But consider it as "rescued" as we can make it.

So... today's lesson is this: never pass a red row. :-)

Alexis

Reply to this post
Reply [edit]

Poster: OTRRArchive Date: Apr 10, 2008 6:14pm
Forum: oldtimeradio Subject: Re: Checkout & Other Problems (ATTN Alexis)


Ah, yes, I remember that red-row. As I recall, I had checked it in and out a couple of times in a short period of time of time. One time, it just seemed stuck -- I think I had just made a small description change, so I was willing to lose my text change, so I un-red-rowed it. Looking back at the history, it appears to be at the same time your engineer was moving it. I must have inadvertantly aborted his move -- sorry, that was totally my fault.

I know that some of our pages have been on different servers than what they were originally created on -- when I figured out that stuff gets moved behind the scenes when there are hardware or other issues, I stopped paying attention to the actual server names. I noticed a little while ago that this page was bouncing back and forth between different servers, but I've been on different computers & different browsers, so I really didn't put all the pieces together -- in any case, I probably should have mentioned this sooner. If I ever see something bouncing back and forth again, I'll mention it right away!

Speaking of different browsers -- one of my changes for the descriptive text of this particular page was to put the names of all the files at the end of the description block (making it a really long description). With the Firefox browser, the entire description including all the file names, were displayed correctly. But with Internet Explorer, the descriptive text was displayed but only the files names starting with A through around the letter J or K were displayed -- IE decided to not display the rest of the file names (I looked at the IE page source -- all the info was there, so it was an issue with IE, not archive.org). I ended up removing the file names from the description and uploaded them as a separate text file. In any case, this was somewhere around the time of the red-row.

Never let it be said that I don't bring you interesting problems!

-Sue